Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Double locking. (A lighter moment.)

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Gyppo

Double locking. (A lighter moment.)

Post by Gyppo » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:28 pm

In my house I pulled the door,
it clicked behind me,
and it was locked.
Secure enough.
Well, nobody ever robbed me,
but it wasn't just the lock.

I had a quiet reputation.
A decent enough chap,
but not one to mess with.
Just like my Father.

People came to him for help,
but they never brought trouble.

In my pensioner's bungalow
I have what they call a 'double lock'.
It's supposedly more secure.
When I locked myself out
I had to send for a locksmith.

It feels like winding a toy train.

Gyppo
I've been writing ever since I realised I could.  Storytelling since I started talking.  Poetry however comes and goes  ;-)

Tracy Mitchell

Re: Double locking. (A lighter moment.)

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:35 pm

Nice.  This reminds me of how I regard my own cyber-security.  I feel like I am such a low-level potential target as it to be a non-issue, and yet the password protections seem in practice to only protect my content from me.  :D

T

Wren Tuatha

Post by Wren Tuatha » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:52 pm

I see the disclaimer--(A lighter moment) but after reading this, I and curious to get the implied action. What happens if someone brings trouble? Presumably, someone did once, thus the father's reputation was earned. Or, what trouble is feared? What trouble knocks on neighboring doors? Will we get a sequel? Thanks for sharing!  Wren

Gyppo

Post by Gyppo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:10 am

Hi, Wren,  thanks for dropping in.

The lighter moment was just in comparison to a couple of my more recent postings.

There probably won't be a sequel.

Trouble is turned away.  Usually gently, sometimes more abruptly, but always quickly.

Trouble usually, but fortunately rarely, comes in the form of drunks and drug-addled folks who forget where they live.  And even more rarely a screaming girl shouting for help in the street outside.  Dad rescued one, and I rescued another several years later.

All the above is true, but 'Double Locking' was really more of a wry and lightweight look at how some minor irritations, such as having to turn the key two and a half times and then wind it back half a turn to remove it can really begin to jar after a while.  Getting back in is just as tedious ;-)

The house lock was just a quarter turn either way.

Feel free to call me a moaning old bugger ;-)

Gyppo
I've been writing ever since I realised I could.  Storytelling since I started talking.  Poetry however comes and goes  ;-)

Matty11

Post by Matty11 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:05 pm

Hi G.,
        A bit like Wren, and despite the disclaimer, my thoughts wandered beyond the lighter moment to that locked-in aspect of N. and father - the not one to mess with. And then to the vulnerability of 'pensioners'. The childhood reference to end on was nicely light, but also nudged to lighter times.

best

Phil

Sharon Leigh

Post by Sharon Leigh » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:49 pm

Really enjoyed this, and it's likely just me and my single woman/introverted neurosis but the first stanza was actually pleasingly satisfying to me (the action and sound of the first four lines, of the locking...nice) I adore the sensation of safety. Love the entire! 
"This creature of the poem may assemble itself into a being with its own centrifugal force."-- Sharon Olds