Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

God, Save Me from Poetry

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Marc Gilbert

God, Save Me from Poetry

Post by Marc Gilbert » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:51 pm

God save me
from licorice hills,
talking mares,
and the wise.
Set me gently in a field
amidst poppies
and Jack Russel Terriers,
with a silent wind
imparting nothing.
"Poetry is not speech raised to the level of music, but music brought down to the level of speech." - Paul Valery

indar

Re: God, Save Me from Poetry

Post by indar » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:55 pm

I'm not certain what the examples of things the N wants to be saved from refer to but no matter. I like this very much just because.

Sharon Leigh

Post by Sharon Leigh » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:12 pm

Lol Marc. I think I remember this, wasn't it in some part a response to a piece I'd written on the old forum's "Poem Love Story Poem"-? Maybe not, dunno. The one I'd written was simply dictating an actual dream I'd had one night. Not to make it all about me :roll:

Anyway, I like it, brings to mind the almost-exhaustion of reading too many metaphors/too much poetry & poetics. And the desire for a rest. If that makes sense :D

The Jack Russel's stand out here, and come away with the reader. Makes me wish for one in the lap right now.

Best,
S

Marc Gilbert

Post by Marc Gilbert » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:22 am

Sharon,

This is indeed a mild rework of that PLSP posting. You have the sense right. It's not serious piece. I just like some of the wording.

BTW: TOM, we need that thread here. PLSP was a godsend. When the group of us hit a groove good things happened. Where is Sio! :)
"Poetry is not speech raised to the level of music, but music brought down to the level of speech." - Paul Valery