Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Keeping Count

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Marc Gilbert

Re: Keeping Count

Post by Marc Gilbert » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:36 am

Tom wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:14 am
As you see, there is a penalty to be paid for following my advice. :D :D

I'm sorry, did you say something, I was distracted by your everchanging avatar. :)
"Poetry is not speech raised to the level of music, but music brought down to the level of speech." - Paul Valery

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:39 am

I recall a newbie at MWC responded to a negative comment with 'That's okay if you don't like my poem, I have a lot more."

Same with my avatars.   :D

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:50 am

Re-reading this... quietly beautiful piece. I also prefer V1, but I like V2's ending more...

indar

Post by indar » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:17 pm

I keep rereading this not knowing what it is that bothers me. At last I have identified it--its the use of the word "we". It would read so much better to me if the poem were written in first person singular. I, for instance, have never counted breaths or tears. I understand that you don't mean the counting to be taken literally but still... And it would be so much more intimate I it were written with "I". I would definitely be drawn in rather than questioning the truth of the poem as it applies to me. The central message is appealing and I like the revision.

Marc Gilbert

Post by Marc Gilbert » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:37 pm

indar wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:17 pm
I keep rereading this not knowing what it is that bothers me. At last I have identified it--its the use of the word "we". It would read so much better to me if the poem were written in first person singular. I, for instance, have never counted breaths or tears. I understand that you don't mean the counting to be taken literally but still... And it would be so much more intimate I it were written with "I". I would definitely be drawn in rather than questioning the truth of the poem as it applies to me. The central message is appealing and I like the revision.

Thank you, this poem need a rework and I'll be lifting this suggestion for sure.
"Poetry is not speech raised to the level of music, but music brought down to the level of speech." - Paul Valery