Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

The Gospel according to COVID

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Tim J Brennan

Re: The Gospel according to COVID

Post by Tim J Brennan » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:13 am

Thanks for your thoughts, Dave. Another editorial. 

Note:  I think the powers that be (whoever that is) need to ask, why, after three years, there are only five or six posters here. What kind of site do you want this to be? People come and go, sure, but no one stays. No one. 

Looking closely at the responses to this poem (and going back to many...MANY...) show no effort to critique a poem. Only shaded responses of personal likes, dislikes, editorializing about the poem's theme, continued personal attacks to artistic capabilities of the writer, etc.  There is zero effort to welcome people into a community "of peer writers".... Again, I ask....why is it NO ONE stays except the five or six who have been here the longest?

It ain't just me. Look at the names on the front page of the Poem Forum. Look at the past pages. NO ONE stays who is new. There's gotta be a reason. 

Maybe this needs to be in the discussion forum but there's no one there either. Whoever's in charge, have a Zoom meeting and a real discussion about what the purpose of this site really is.  

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:21 pm

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your comments.

Please check your personal messages.

T

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:42 pm

Dave, comparisons are often pertinent, and can't simply be dismissed.
And your Stalin example is extreme, and unhelpful.
The proper protocol here is to critique (and comment on) the poems, not the critiques and comments.
Regards
Colm
​​​​​ 

Tim J Brennan

Post by Tim J Brennan » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:53 am

Colm Roe wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:42 pm
Dave, comparisons are often pertinent, and can't simply be dismissed.
And your Stalin example is extreme, and unhelpful.
The proper protocol here is to critique (and comment on) the poems, not the critiques and comments.
Regards
Colm
​​​​​ 

As of this morning: 381, 804 deaths (USA) - 1.93 million (world). You tell me "I don't know anyone who has died from it" and you tell Dave that the proper protocol is to critique the poem. I won't tell my neighbor's widow how ignorant your statement is. She deserves better. But I will tell you that I do not see one single critique of the poem in any of your responses and refer you back to my longer NOTE comment to the powers that be. 

Dave

Post by Dave » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:58 pm

A minor aspect perhaps, is whether you drop the full-stops
Dave

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:17 pm

Tim, a friend of mine died from cancer last night. Cancer kills so many more people than Covid here. Will I tell his widow it's ok, because it wasn't Covid! 
You complain about getting editorials instead of critiques, but spend all your time picking holes in comments. 
If you really want deeper critiques maybe start by asking questions! I doubt that'll happen though, because you seem to have all the answers.

​​​

​​​​

Tim J Brennan

Post by Tim J Brennan » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:50 pm

You live in a Colm world. My poem has nothing to do w/your friend. You're editorializing again. Yet. Stick to the poem in front of you. 

Take a look around. The world is much bigger than you think. You keep dragging me down to your level. I wish you would stop commenting on my poems. Please.   

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:50 am

Not commenting on your poems will be my pleasure :D

Tim J Brennan

Post by Tim J Brennan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:32 am

Colm Roe wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:50 am
Not commenting on your poems will be my pleasure :D

And yet you just did. Go back & read my NOTE again. You just don’t get it.

You are a detriment to this site and it is my opinion more people would post here if you treated them as peers. Quite frankly, you’re not that good to be talking down to other writers.

Tim J Brennan

Post by Tim J Brennan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:47 pm

Total deaths in the USA as of 1/13/21 now stands @ 393, 916

Cities w/approximate populations: New Orleans, Arlington TX.