Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

The whole world's a stage

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Gyppo

The whole world's a stage

Post by Gyppo » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:52 pm

The whole world's a stage, and we are but players...

One day we all have to leave the stage.

Maybe with a thunderous riff,
a crashing flourishing chord,
A ringing last line,
or with a plaintive haunting note.
A whispered farewell,
or with no warning at all. 

Selfishly, I find the last option quite comforting.

But not just yet.

Life has been full of surprises,
so why change a winning strategy?

Gyppo
I've been writing ever since I realised I could.  Storytelling since I started talking.  Poetry however comes and goes  ;-)

Colm Roe

Re: The whole world's a stage

Post by Colm Roe » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:26 pm

Hey Gyppo, what are you doing here? Trying to muscle in on my patch  :lol:
Advanced notice is something I'm comfortable with. I've always thought going in sleep means we miss out somehow...I'm so curious about the end, and hope I don't embarrass myself...it's a big deal, this leaving.
Anywho, much as I'm intrigued by the process, I hope its mysteries aren't in a rush to reveal themselves to us  :)

Gyppo

Post by Gyppo » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:07 am

Colm.

It comes with the turning of the year, but never stays long.  Or when a younger friend or relative 'leaves early'.  This year, with lockdowns, there have been fewer positive distractions.

I'm reminded of the old comedian, Frank Burns.  (A man who had appearances booked with his agent up to and beyond his 100th birthday.  He had no intention of retiring from a life he loved.

Two quotes stick in my memory.

1)  When presented with a big bouquet of flowers after a show.  "Thankyou, but I'd rather you didn't.  At my age flowers frighten me." 

2)  "I'm not afraid of dying.  I just don't want to be there when it happens." 

Gyppo
I've been writing ever since I realised I could.  Storytelling since I started talking.  Poetry however comes and goes  ;-)

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:06 am

Good sentiments Gyppo -- you too Colm. You guys are so much further than I in thinking this through. For the last ten years or so I am continually surprised at my seeming lack of fear about the event, either for the now or the later. But lately I am feeling I do want to cross the bar smuffocating on a ventilator. Other than that, I am still good. :)

indar

Post by indar » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:12 am

Gonna lay, lay my head
on some lonesome railroad line
let the PT Special
ease my worried mind.

Helen Humes - Trouble In Mind - Bing video

I was intubated for a very long time---well technically, I eventually was given a tracheotomy. That was after I suffocated alone during the night in ER back in1959 and was barely able to be resuscitated. Words cant describe how fearful I am of covid and you all should be as well. I wish for a fast death is what I'm saying. so I agree with
or with no warning at all. 

Selfishly, I find the last option quite comforting.

I wear a surgical mask and a face shield on the rare occasions that I must "mingle". Since the more contagious strain has cropped up I have started ordering groceries delivered. 

Gyppo, I believe I just hijacked your very fine poem to get on a soapbox and preach, probably to the choir.  

Gyppo

Post by Gyppo » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:42 am

indar wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:12 am
Gyppo, I believe I just hijacked your very fine poem to get on a soapbox and preach, probably to the choir. 
If it got you back to the keyboard I'll consider it a fair trade.  My good deed for the day.

Online groceries...  Until a lot of the shops were closed, and people had to queue to get in I was quietly scathing of 'lazy buggers who always have their shopping delivered'.  I used to enjoy going down town with my big rucsack for the week's bulk shopping.  I only had a small freezer.

Since the first lockdown I've had nearly all my groceries delivered, except a few items from the local Co-Op bought a bigger freezer, and become a bit of a hermit.  I miss the weekly 'people watching' trip though.

Over the years I've had to stay in hospital a few times, and it's something I don't enjoy at  all.  Even with the people watching opportunities.

I'm probably being a lot more careful than people realise.

Take care.

Gyppo

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:13 pm

I'm familiar with the 'I'm not afraid of dying' quote. I always thought it was Woody Allen?
So I googled, and it might be Spike Milligan's.
Either way... it's a wonderful turn if phrase.
George had so many. 'When I was a boy the Dead Sea was only sick'  :lol: