Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Rooms

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Gyppo

Re: Rooms

Post by Gyppo » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:08 am

Indar,  (And anyone else who feels their muse has deserted them.)

Our free-ranging sources of real life input have been crippled by lockdowns.  When was the last time you sat in a cafe, or on a park bench, and picked up odds and ends of talk from people around you or passing by?  Snatches of conversation, or brief glimpses which, although not ostensibly connected in any way, nonetheless triggered a bizarre connection in the poets corner of your mind?

'Stuff' seen on you tube etc just isn't the same as 'real world' stuff.  In a video the creator has already decided what they want you to see and hear.  If they're good at their job they've filtered out any obvious distractions. 

Real world 'stuff' is very different.  It's a fragmented mess.  Your brain picks and chooses according to its own plan, your own likes and prejudices.  Your brain is thinking for itself, not merely being passively entertained by flickering and predominantly visual images.

Your mind draws from all five senses, and quite possibly a few others which kick in and out seemingly on a whim.  Flashes of intuition, or clairvoyance, or whatever.  Voices in your head?  You're not necessarily going crazy, it's just your mind talking to itself.  If you never listen to it you're probably not a creative type.  If your brain is wired for cold logic you're a different type of person.

Never assume - or accept - that you'll not write again.   If you've been a writer/poet before it will come back when the world becomes more interesting again.

Gyppo 
I've been writing ever since I realised I could.  Storytelling since I started talking.  Poetry however comes and goes  ;-)

Colm Roe

Re: Rooms

Post by Colm Roe » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:41 pm

Well said all.
We need a 'Mid-Winter Poetry Fest' Tracy! With just one rule...the virus CANNOT be mentioned.
Two weeks, a poem a day, no crits...just comfort...and Hygge...lots of Hygge!