Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

WWI was inevitable –

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Tracy Mitchell

WWI was inevitable –

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:59 pm

WWI was inevitable –
ArchDuke Ferdinand should have been shot
in any event, for his mustache alone.
Not to mention his idiot flattop cut.
And his wife – dandruff so bad
her crabs had to wear snow shoes.

Dansinger

Re: WWI was inevitable –

Post by Dansinger » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:31 pm

That, and he killed elephants.

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:24 pm

I'll try to work that into the next draft. :D

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:11 pm

Actually his tache and hair really wouldn't look out of place today Tracy :shock:
I assume you're saying that all World Wars are inevitable because we elect (or otherwise have) gobshite,
vainglorious leaders and we (the people) are so easily led to battle by ridiculous propaganda.
War is closer for all of us. Look at the (media ignored) Ukraine conflict :shock:
The Armenian war has already been forgotten in our media...how does that happen?
Is Civil War in America a possibility? Find the right guy, with funny hair, a big moustache, and who knows!
You certainly have enough ordnance.
If he's re-elected, then grows a tache, be afraid...be very afraid.
Enjoyed the poem :)

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:52 pm

Actually his tache and hair really wouldn't look out of place today Tracy :shock: Doesn't mean we have to like it :cry:
I assume you're saying that all World Wars are inevitable because we elect (or otherwise have) gobshite,
vainglorious leaders and we (the people) are so easily led to battle by ridiculous propaganda. That's my take on WWI. Gobshite is such a functional word these days.
War is closer for all of us. Look at the (media ignored) Ukraine conflict :shock:
The Armenian war has already been forgotten in our media...how does that happen? Good question -- Too bad we pretty much know the answer.
Is Civil War in America a possibility? Find the right guy, with funny hair, a big moustache, and who knows!
You certainly have enough ordnance. Unfortunately, there are way too many people who think so. I don't see it happening, if the FBI is vigilant, proactive and well supported.
If he's re-elected, then grows a tache, be afraid...be very afraid. Yep
Enjoyed the poem :)

Thanks for the comments, Colm.

Cheers.

T

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:22 pm

Benevolent dictatorships is the only alternative now. Democracy struggles to defend itself.
Communism is a joke.
Or just let the computers do what we're designing them to do...TAKE OVER THE WORLD :lol:
But make sure it has a big, silly tache :lol:

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:14 am

I am not ready to throw in the towel on democracy -- the struggle to preserve and improve is worth the effort.
I have no confidence that a dictatorship can be benevolent. There is a reason that the monarchies fell.

Now, the computer thing -- should that be frightening?

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:54 pm

OK, I know they all fall to shit eventually, and all you have to do is pull a trigger (once) to instate yourself...but it's so much more cost effective (and our 'Leader' is paid more than yours FFS) And the hundreds of fat wages/pensions our politicians get!
The perfect solution is a mongrel...the proletariat elect their dictator...and have the power to fuck him/her out if they're ineffective.
The best of both worlds :D
Singapore did well.
https://www.india.com/news/world/lee-ku ... ed-327075/
If you're looking for a good read, fiction & history, I'd highly recommend 'The Singapore Grip' by J.G. Farrell.

indar

Post by indar » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:12 am

Democracy might be working better in America if not for all the lead from gasolene that found its way into the ecosystem. Like Mercury, lead makes people go crazy.

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:49 am

So maybe the country is divided between those who ate lead paint chips as kids and those who played with mercury? I am in the second group.

T