Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Tribes

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
indar

Re: Tribes

Post by indar » Sat May 09, 2020 2:28 pm

[font]https://musictales.club/article/analog- ... e-classics[/font]

listen to the Debussey

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Sat May 09, 2020 6:48 pm

Dave wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:00 pm
Finally I am still intrigued by the lack of poetic devices such as sensual language, images, metaphors.

You don't see any of those here?

Some dishes are better served cold,
vintage revenge tastes sweeter
when memories root too deep and wide,
spread so far they forget how small the seed was
and turn soil to grave.

I'm flogging a dead horse here. You'll just keep defending your initial comments :roll:

Thanks Linda, I'm surprised you agree with Dave about S1. I thought it contrasts well with the last S. But I'm outnumbered 2-1. Not a huge factor, but as I said, it's just a poem.
But I do feel obliged to defend them; I'd be a fool to consider any of them less than I thought they were because of one (or a few) comments. They deserve my loyalty. For me (as I've said before) TTB is a sounding board. The ultimate test is when I'm deciding if I'll recite it in public...that really focuses my mind. Poems I thought were good are often dismissed and put in the 'Maybe not as good as I thought' file.

Moving swiftly on.

indar

Post by indar » Sun May 10, 2020 9:01 am

Some dishes are better served cold,
vintage revenge tastes sweeter
when memories root too deep and wide,
spread so far they forget how small the seed was
and turn soil to grave.

After reading your response to Dave's comments I see I was reading this S differently. I thought the long-standing marginalization and abuse of American natives has been advanced horribly at the time of the virus by a leader who has completely failed that population (their voting rights are also being all but denied as well) 

Ireland (or the Irish people)steps in and does something that highlights the failure of a president whose only claim to fame is the false image he projects and reveals the contrast between generosity and selfishness along with the deeply rooted racism Trump has so exploited.

I guess I was reading my perspective as an American into this and wanted a better tie-in to a larger context. I still think it is an effective poem that needed to be written and a story that needs to be elevated.

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Sun May 10, 2020 6:31 pm

Thanks Linda.
That's an easy 'mistake' (you know what I mean) to make, and I see why you thought the way you did.
That happens to me quite often :)

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Wed May 13, 2020 8:25 pm

Thanks Phil and poet-e, apols for my tardy acknowledgement :oops: