Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Apprentice

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Colm Roe

Apprentice

Post by Colm Roe » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:20 pm

I feel my weight now, not always,
just an occasional sense of it, like
when I stand too long
in a queue or work.

My insides protest, as
they squash, contort
and ache.

I'm no heavier than I was 20 years ago,
it's the same gravity, and yet
it works harder.

In bed, in those weightless moments
just before sleep and wake
I'm an apprentice

being rushed away.

Matty11

Re: Apprentice

Post by Matty11 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:03 pm

Enjoyed Colm, can't say I'm really get to the heart of it, but I'm picking up on the awareness and vulnerability. Learning again because of these new challenges.

best

Phil

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:08 pm

Hey Phil,
Growing-old aches/pains, the way gravity exacerbates them and the way it (almost) seems to conspire to create an acceptance of moving on to the 'next phase' :)
Thanks for your comment.
Regards

Gyppo

Post by Gyppo » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:51 am

Colm,

I read somewhere that 'a strong man never feels his knees'.  They're just there, doing their job unless you injure them.  By that reckoning I am no longer strong ;-)  Not everyday anyway.

As for the 'insides protesting' mine seem to have settled down again, but after my prostate was removed I was horribly aware of things moving around in there adjusting to fill the empty space.  Quite sickening at times as that tangled mess rearranged itself.

I quite like the analogy of becoming an apprentice again, realising there are new things to learn, skiing down the back slope of the learning curve. 

I've been writing ever since I realised I could.  Storytelling since I started talking.  Poetry however comes and goes  ;-)

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:08 pm

Knees and shoulders and elbows and hips and feet and fingers and....
Indeed, they didn't even register as bits of us...until they start to 'play-up' :roll:
Sorry to hear about your significant bits misbehaving

I quite like the analogy of becoming an apprentice again, realising there are new things to learn, skiing down the back slope of the learning curve.

Life is an apprenticeship. And the certificate we eventually receive is a 'Death Cert' :lol:

Thanks G :)

Gyppo

Post by Gyppo » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:44 am

As The Reaper takes the backswing I'll probably be whipping out notebook and pen to capture the details and impressions ;-)
I've been writing ever since I realised I could.  Storytelling since I started talking.  Poetry however comes and goes  ;-)

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:24 am

:lol: