Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Transhumanism

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Colm Roe

Transhumanism

Post by Colm Roe » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:39 pm

I like A.I.
Love the idea of applied logic reaching out, 
children teaching parents.

It'll do and say what we know we should.
Might be predictable
and seem repetitive.

But we'll all 'love' each other,
won't be human love...the type that hurts
deceives or destroys.

The prime code could contain
a line or two to break the monotony.
A flaw to insert devils in the detail
create 'characters'.

They'll write 'Pigs' in blood,
type texts while driving
or crush their children
in cruel repetitions.

No, He's had his chance
and how is that working out!
Transhumanate me ASAP

I like A.I. 

Matty11

Re: Transhumanism

Post by Matty11 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:21 pm

Nicely done Colm. Especially, liked the the proposition to make AI humanly flawed (to an extent).

best

Phil

indar

Post by indar » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:46 am

OK Colm, time for my crazy brand of cosmology. Once upon a time you and I carried on many discusions re: the mysteries of the quantum world and some of its wildest implications so I know you will know what i'm talking about (Rev.) If consciousness exists not as an epiphnomenon of the brain alone but as something better described as an everywhere-present force (religion often might describe it as "soul") I fear that if too much emphasis is placed on the sterile intellect that can be duplicated by AI the soul of humanity might be lost.

Out of the pulpit dear sir and as you see your poem stirred something in me.

poet-e

Post by poet-e » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:49 pm

Love this!

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:01 pm

Thanks for your comments.
A soul is a lovely idea...I hope I'm wrong, but it appears to be similar to love!
Love is an evolutionary construct our 'intelligent' minds have elevated beyond its real value...if
saltwater crocodiles didn't 'love' their hatchings they wouldn't live long enough to make more killing
machines.
The fact that the idea of the 'soul' is found in pretty much every culture on Earth, for me, doesn't give
it any more credibility.
Do computers 'feel' like they've been reincarnated/resuscitated when they're reconnected to a power 
source? Probably not! But I think there's a possibility there'll come a time when they'll have the capacity
to really 'wonder' why they've been turned off, or why we've neglected them for periods of time.
Carbon v Quantum? We are both...but mostly big blobs of blunt, charcoal crocodiles. 
I like the idea of evolving beyond our flawed cells, and existing in a world without limits.
Maybe that's what a soul is?      

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:31 pm

I enjoyed the poem though I consider IT just another red herring. Pity the human that does not like humans but thinks he would like a humanoid machine made by humans - doesn't that just sound like a deflection from human nature like, what was it again, god?

D

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:56 pm

Not a case of 'not liking humans' Dave.
We are (so far) incapable of creating a decent human civilisation. And the future prospects
look even more dismal than the past!
I really believe transhumanism will become the norm. The possibilities are infinite, and if God exists
he knows where we're heading...maybe He's hidden in code!
He's looking at us humans, waiting for us to eventually build a proper Tower of Babel, and Armageddon
will come when He's pissed off waiting for our intelligence to evolve  :D
We are advancing so fast, and in 100 years they'll (if we haven't destroyed their planet) look back at us
the way we look at Neanderthals.
Thanks again for all comments; I enjoy the opportunity to engage in abstract discussions  :)

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:33 pm

Delightful!  What a creative and refreshing take.  A flaw in the code – intentional?   Geez, God. You had your chance.   

Me: you are amazing at conjuring your poems outside the box
Colm: what box?

Cheers.

T